History of Windsor
Windsor is a spectacular royal enclave that has been the home of Monarchs for over 900 years. It is situated in the Thames valley 22 miles west of London. The town is dominated by the imposing castle with its rich royal history and ranks of medieval bastions. Inside the walls of the Castle are a wealth of treasures, including St George’s Chapel, State Apartments, St George’s Hall and the Albert Memorial Chapel. Many of these rooms are being used as venues for this year’s Festival. St George’s Chapel is a glorious perpendicular chapel and is the resting place for a number of senior members of the Royal family, most recently HM Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother. The grand gilded State Apartments are home to a number of significant paintings from the Royal Collection.
To the south of the Castle lies the large and verdant Windsor Great Park, bisected by the grand Long Walk surrounded by rolling fields, working farms and manicured polo lawns.
The village of Eton lies on the opposite side of the river Thames, accessed via a footbridge from Windsor. It is home to the famous boys school Eton College, founded in 1440. A highlight of the school is the College Chapel, which is a wonderful example of perpendicular architecture, rivalling its neighbour St George’s.